Sunday, May 7, 2017

How to pick a college

Picking a college can be stressful for some and easy for others. It was stressful for me and it didn't have to be. In this blog, I am going to tell you the important things to look at when looking for a college.

First of all, for me its location. I am a family man and want to be able to come home anytime I can but I also want the feeling of separation being free so I decided to pick a school that was an hour and a half away which is perfect. I am far enough away from home to feel like I am free, but also if I need anything getting home will not be a problem at all.

Second of all the people and community, when looking for a college on each visit I would walk around and look around the town and observe the people. Remember, you have to be living here and with them for 4 years,so make one you feel most comfortable with. Get to know the people and pick where you would fit the best.

Third of all I would have to say if you have a degree in mind, go to the college that has the best program. This can be hard if all your friends are going to another college and you feel left out... Yes ,this is natural, but think about it in the long run would you rather go to a school with all your friends and get a degree you don't want because they do not have yours. YOU WILL MAKE NEW FRIENDS

Fourth of all size of the college, depending on the person you are, you might fit better in a smaller college or larger. For me, I want a smaller college because I want to be able to get to know more people. I do not just want to be a number on a campus with 20k plus people. The bonus of going to a smaller school is also class size. In most large colleges some classes can have up to 900 people in one class. This can make it impossible to ask a question, let alone the teacher has no idea who you are. In a smaller school you can get, the more needed attention and your teacher will actually know you by name and want to help. But do not let me talk you out of big colleges, just do what fits your personality and you will do great.

Last but not least, do not let this stress you out like I did. If you ever did pick a college you do not like you can change you are not stuck there. It took me over a year to decide I could not make up my mind and it was driving me insane. But you have this feeling when you visit a college you know you are going to. It just feels right and you could see yourself being there and being successful. College is meant to be fun and you should be excited about where you are going. The final thing I am leaving you with is leaving your options open don't just look at one college look at as many as you can because you never know when you are going to come across the college that you will love and that will become your home for the next four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment